Sep 9, 2011

Owning a passport

The importance of owning a passport: a perspective from Phil Keoghan


With National Passport Day approaching in the US (September 17, 2011) we will be featuring perspectives on the importance of owning (and using) a passport.

First up is Phil Keoghan, host of the Emmy Award-winning travel series The Amazing Race, and a life-long passionate traveler well before his TV days. We asked him for his perspective on travel and why having a passport is so important:

I had my first passport when I was two years old. (My own daughter got her first passport when she was two weeks old.) By the time I was 12, I had traveled extensively through the Americas. I even flew by myself from the Caribbean back to New Zealand to attend boarding school. I got the travel bug early. Now every time I look up and see a plane in the sky, I dream of somewhere new.

It’s imperative that we get students curious and hungry about the world early. The most opportune time to travel is straight out of school, when you can just pack your bags and go. Travel is the most valuable education money can’t buy – an opportunity to be resourceful and learn lessons that will affect the way we live the rest of our lives.

More here:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/blog/2011/09/08/passports-a-perspective-from-phil-keoghan/

No comments: